I bring you great news–remember that atheist film festival we said is going to happen on the Friday (November 9th) of Skepticon? Well we’ve narrowed down the list! Here are the films that will be shown that day by the lovely, the daring, the absolutely electrifying David Fitzgerald!
- 10am: PARROT (winner of this year’s AFF Best Short Film) –This wonderful and honest Australian gem focuses on a young atheist with a hard choice to make. When a terrible tragedy befalls a devout Catholic family, the closeted atheist son and his parents are forced to confront their differences at the worst possible time. (25 mins)
- 10:30 am: THE LORD IS NOT ON TRIAL HERE TODAYA Peabody & Emmy Award-winning documentary that tells the compelling personal story of the late Vashti McCollum, one courageous woman who stood up against all odds and changed American society forever and for the better in one of the most important and landmark First Amendment cases in U.S. Supreme Court history – the separation of church and state in public schools. (60 mins)
- 11:30am: THE FIRST ATHEIST MUSICAL –Who says atheists don’t got no songs? Tap your toes and sing along with your fellow heretics in this fun collection of musical atheist shorts. (60 mins)
- (12:30 -2pm Lunch Break)
- 2pm GOD’S CARTOONIST – You’ve seen Chick tracts; they are those freaky little Xtn comic books filled with evil Catholics, Evolutionists, Bikers, Rock Stars, Satanists, gays, the Illuminati, Witches – pretty much everybody. This documentary takes us inside the secretive world of Jack T. Chick, the world’s most successful underground comics publisher. (77 mins)
- 3:30pm MARJOE – This won the Oscar for best documentary in 1972, but it never was shown in the South for fear it would cause riots. Marjoe Gortner was a child evangelist who grows up, gets disillusioned, and decides to make one last revival tour – with a camera crew of undercover atheists – to blow the lid off the revival biz. And he does. (88 mins)
- 5pm EVOLUTION – THE MUSICAL! – If Monty Python’s Life of Brian and The Rocky Horror Picture Show had a baby with Charles Darwin, their spawn might be something like the Killing My Lobster Comedy Troupe’s Evolution- the Musical! As Morpheus would say, no one can be told what it is – it must be experienced…(36 mins)
SWEET BABY JESUS I AM EXCITED!
Phil Monroe · November 1, 2012 at 11:54 am
I like this addition to Skepticon. Will there be any discussion about the film after seeing it?
JD · November 10, 2012 at 9:20 am
Those are the best atheist movies? They spew bigotry just like any Fundie.
You are never going to win, because you can’t even see it in yourselves.