Hey there awesome Skeptonites! We’ve been examining our finances, and need your help! With one week to go, we still need to raise about $10,000 between now and August 11th, when the last SK11 attendee floats home on a lovely cloud of post-con bliss.
The good news is that starting today, August 1st, we have a donation matching challenge. Thanks to very generous and very anonymous donors, for every $ donated to Skepticon between now and the 11th, they will match with a $, making $$! They didn’t give us an upper limit, so let’s take ridiculous advantage of these awesome people.
Help us if you can! This year’s conference will go on no matter what, but if you love Skepticon and want it to continue, we need you.
For the curious and detail-minded of you out there (Us too!), here are some of the gory details of our current moneys:
As of 7/31:
- Expenses already paid this year (speaker travel, merch, equipment, etc.): $11,411
- Anticipated venue expenses (space rental, rooms for speakers): $15,300
- Anticipated conference expenses (captioning, child care, DJ, rentals): $4,900
- Balance in the conference fund: $9,408
- Amount needed to cover conference expenses: $10,792
And then the legal defense fund:
- Amount of legal bills on credit card: $20,754
- Legal bills unpaid: $8,533
- Balance in the legal fund: $1,490
- Net legal bills needing to be covered: $27,797
- (We’ll be receiving another large bill next week for July. Yay us.)