Have you ever been at Skepticon and thought, “Wow, organizing this conference must be so much fun!” Well, you would be right! But it is also a lot of work. Skepticon has grown A LOT since it’s humble, student beginnings. As we have said many a time, Skepticon is run completely on volunteer power. While our team is really awesome, it would mean so much to have a little more help.
So! We are looking for people to apply to help us with the behind-the-scenes organization. You don’t need to live in Springfield — only a few of us do! Organizers are spread literally from coast to coast, so don’t let geography stop you from jumping on board.
We will have applications available at the registration table for the entire weekend. If you’re not able to make it to Skepticon this year (sad face), but still want to apply, email [email protected] and we’ll get one out to you. This is not a super intensive application, so don’t worry that we’re putting you through Harvard-level scrutiny. Mostly just to see who you are and if you would be a good fit for our team.
We do have some requirements:
- Dedication: We won’t work you to the bone, but we need to be able to rely on you
- Able to work with in a team: Skepticon is a group effort
- Able to take direction: We love new ideas, but we also have some things just completely dialed in
- Email/Facebook access: Since we are so spread out, we communicate mostly through email and Facebook Messenger
- Amazingness: Since all fans of Skepticon are amazing, you’ve got this one in the bag!
Here are some things that aren’t requirements, but would be nice to have:
- Experience: Not necessarily with conference organizing, but in something that might help us (and you would be surprised at what would be helpful!)
- Creativity: We’re always looking for new ideas!
- Access to Google Hangouts: This is how we conduct our meetings, and we would love to have you join us!
We will be reviewing the applications over the winter (after we take our break from all things Skepticon), and will start contacting applicants beginning in the spring. Please note that this means applicants will not be involved in speaker selection, as this happens earlier in the year. However, we always welcome speaker suggestions, from anyone, anytime, at [email protected].
We know you love us. We hope that you love us enough join our amazing team!
P.S. Want to help Skepticon, but don’t want to be an organizer? Donate if you can! Every dollar helps!